Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jhinger Chapor-ghonto (ঝিঙে-র চাপড়ঘন্ট)

This dish brings back waves of memories from my childhood. I learnt this recipe from my maternal grandma (দিদা). My maternal grandma's place (মামাবাড়ি) is in a small town in North 24Parganas. I visited her for summer holidays every year when I was in school. It was a vacation I waited for all the year.

As a child I was quite mischievous! I played with my friends/cousins for the entire day, there was no studies, no scolding. My dida used iron pots (লোহার কড়াই) and clay stoves (উনুন) to cook. I helped her pickup dry leaves from trees in the backyard and then use them to fire up the stove for day's cooking. It was only at my dida's place that I saw this style of cooking & I was a part of that process; it intrigued me.I still cherish those days, they are memories that I hold very close to my heart.





Ingredients:
Ridge gourd (ঝিঙে) - 4 or 5 (cut into small piece) (ডুমো করে কাটা)
Matar dal - 1/2 cup
Mustard seed - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi seed - 1/4 tsp
Dry red chilli - 2
Cumin - 1 tsp (Dry roast and ground)
Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Sugar
Oil
Water

Preparation:
Soak the matar dal for 6-8 hours and then grind it to a thick paste Add some salt and sugar to it.
Heat some oil in a nonstick frying pan and make a thick pancake out of the matar dal paste.
Cook it on medium flame; it might look dry but no need to add any more oil.
Cook until both sides little brownish.
Once cooked, break the chapor into pieces and keep it aside.

Heat some more oil in the frying pan.
Add the mustard seeds, methi seeds, dry red chilli and fry it until crackles.
Add the ridge gourd pieces in it and fry it well. It will ooze out water.
Once the water dries out, add salt, sugar, cumin powder, coriander powder and mix it well.
You can add little more water if you need to cook the ridge gourd for some more time.
Add the chapor pieces now.
Finally add dry roast cumin powder, mix well and serve.

No comments :