Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Kolai Dal with Shrimp

Kolai (কলাই) dal and alu-posto, this is a killer combination for ghoti's (like me).
Kolai  dal is my dad's favorite. Back at home, every Saturday we used to have only vegetarian food and this was a must have. Inevitably alu-posto was always served with kolai dal.

My dad loves kolai dal made in its purest form; perfectly boiled and "foron" (ফোড়ণ) with bay leaf, dry red chilli, fennel seeds and ginger paste. But I was bored with this usual preparation (that slurry liquid!).

When I came back to US last time, my mom-in-law packed in a small packet of kolai dal. I thought of trying this interesting recipe I have seen long back in a magazine. I kept it simple and did not go for too many spices. The result was really good. I am sure you will like it!


Ingredients:
Kolai dal - 1 cup
Shrimp (I used the pre-cooked variety available in stores) - 1 cup
Onion (chopped) - 1 cup
Green chilli
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Dry red chilli
Bayleaf
Oil
Ghee
Salt
Turmeric

Preparation:
Boil kolai dal with a pinch of salt and turmeric.
Next rub in salt and turmeric with shrimp and keep aside.
In a pan heat oil
Add dry red chilli, green chilli and bayleaf
Add chopped onion and fry till it turns brown.
Add  the marinated shrimp in it and fry on high heat.
Next add ginger paste and keep frying until little oil oozes out.
Now add the boiled dal (add water if needed). We want the dal of a thick consistency.
Finally add ghee and green chilli, switch off the flame and keep covered for a while before serving.

Tip:
I have used frozen cooked shrimp, so I thawed it for some time before using it. If you are using raw shrimp add it with onion in the beginning and fry it well.

1 comment :

Sutapa said...

Very unique recipe. I"ll surely try sometime.