Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mutton Liver Curry (মেটে চচ্চড়ি)

When I was a kid (and in my teens too) the one thing I despised most is food. I was very choosy with what I ate; only thing I liked was boiled rice with a big scoop of ghee and mashed potato (আলুসেদ্ধ). Vegetables, lentils, fish were on my "nah!" list, but I liked mutton dishes, specially liver and fat. My grandma and aunt(s) still tell me so many funny stories from my childhood.

My husband is a big foodie and loves (actually crazy about) mutton dishes. Whenever we cook mutton at home, we always end up fighting over who is going to eat more!

Last night I made mutton liver curry (মেটে চচ্চড়ি), which is very famous in Bengal. I made a quick jeera rice and kachumbar salad to accompany it. Hopefully you will like it too!






Ingredients:
Mutton Liver - 2 lbs (cut into 1/2" pieces)
Potato - 3 (cut into small pieces) (ডুমো করে কাটা)
Onion -1 big (chopped)
Ginger - 1 tbsp (grated)
Garlic - 1 tsp (grated)
Tomato - 2 (cut into small pieces)
Green chilli (chopped)
Cilantro (chopped)
Bay leaf
Cardamom
Cinnamon
Clove
Cumin seed - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seed - 1/2 tsp (crushed)
Red chili powder  1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Sugar
Oil
Ghee
Water - 1/2 cup (hot/warm)

Preparation:
Add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder in about 2 tbsp warm/hot water. Mix well and keep aside for use later.
Heat oil.
Fry potatoes on medium heat and keep aside.(Add a pinch of of salt and turmeric to the potato while frying).
In the hot oil, add bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, clove and fry until it crackles. Next add cumin and crushed coriander seed and fry a little more.
Next add onion in it, add some salt and fry on medium heat. When the onions gets translucent, add ginger, garlic, green chili and fry till the onion gets brown.
Now add tomatoes, cover the pan and cook it on low flame allowing the tomatoes to melt. Stir it occasionally until  the mixture is well cooked.
Add the spice mixture into it and cook until oil oozes out.
Now add the mutton liver to it and cook well.
Add fried potatoes in it and continue frying.
Add hot/warm water, mix well, cover it and let it cook until the liver is well cooked.
Finally add ghee, sugar, garam masala and mix well. Check seasoning and add salt if required.
Garnish with cilantro.






Tip: 
Always mix spice powder in warm/hot water and keep it for a while. This enhances the flavor and color of the dish.

No comments :