Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Chow-let / Chow-lette – My Submission for Bawi Bride's Best Kept Secrets-Eedu Edition


This recipe featured on Bawi Bride's Best Kept Secret 2nd e-Book, Eedu edition. Eedu, in Parsi, means egg. Bawi Bride is a well-known blogger in Parsi culinary world and this 2nd e-book edition is a collection of fascinating Eedu recipes from India. I am absolutely thrilled that my recipe was amongst the 15 recipes published in her e-book. I am fairly new to the blogging world, and this achievement makes me immensely proud and happy that I am getting to share space with some of most renowned Indian food bloggers. Please visit Bawi Bride to know more and download the Eedu edition.


Chow-let or Chow-lette is my mom's original recipe, one ideal for snack or brunch. This is a very simple dish but everytime I make it, it reminds me of so many old memories from my childhood, my hostel days and days spent with my sister. I come from a very small town in West Bengal. In the early 90's, "cornflex"/"muffins" were not that commonly available in my hometown. Breakfast was usually bread-butter or Indian "French" toast and evening snack was muri-makha (মুড়িমাখা / spiced puffed rice), maggie or onion fritters (pNeyaji/pakora). My mom loved to cook and took extra care of every dish she made. Chow-let was her idea, a mix of chowmein and omelet / omelette batter. Needless to mention that we loved it! Later she improvised by adding more veggie's into it. Chow-let is still one of my favorite and easy to cook recipe.
During my hostel stay at Kolkata, days when canteen food was not palatable, I cooked chow-let for myself. My hostel-mates also loved it. Even now after so many years, when we reminisce our good old days, chow-let is an inevitable topic, the fun we had making it on Sunday mornings and the lovely time we spent together. One more person who loves chow-let is my cousin sister. First time I made it for her was when I visited my aunt's home in Jamshedpur. She loved it so much that I ended up making it everyday I stayed with her. Recently she visited me in US for a vacation and the first thing she said is I that she definitely wants me to make chow-let for her. This time too she relished it. Chow-let may be a very simple dish but there are lot of priceless memories I relate it with.


Ingredients:
(To make one Chow-let)
Egg - 2
Chowmein (Thin) - 1/2 Cup
Onion - 1 & 1/2 Tbsp (Finely chopped/grated)
Green Chili - Acording to your taste (Chopped)
Ginger - 1/4 Tsp (Chopped)
Carrot - 1 Tsp (Grated)
Bell Pepper/Capsicum - 1 Tsp (Finely Chopped)
Tomato - 1 Tbsp (Finely chopped)
Cilantro - 1 Tbsp (Chopped)
Milk - 2 Tbsp
Salt
Turmeric -1 Pinch
Black Pepper
oil


Preparation:
Boil water in a pan. Add some salt and oil into it.
Once it comes to a boil, add the chowmein. Boil it till al dante, drain it.
Whisk the eggs. Add all other ingredients into it.
Heat oil in a nonstick pan / tawa.
Add the egg mixture and spread it evenly on the tawa. Cover it and let it cook on low heat.
Once the egg batter solidifies, check the bottom part of the omlet.
When it gets a nice brown color, spray little oil on the top portion and flip the omlet onto the other side.
Fry on medium heat, until the bottom side gets the desired brown color. And it's done!
Serve it with a sauce of your choice. I like my "Maggie hot and sweet tomato chili sauce" with it.


No comments :