Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

French Meringue


French Meringue, the name itself is so exotic! I never knew it would be so easy to make. This recipe uses minimal ingredients and has a super easy prep process. Since this is first time I baked it, I just stuck with the basic meringue; next time I will try different variations and incorporate more ingredients/colors/flavors.


Ingredients:
Egg Whites - 3 (Large)
Sugar - 1 Cup (Granulated)
Vanilla - 1/2 Tsp
Cream of Tartar - 1/4 Tsp
Salt - 1 Pinch


Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 220F.
Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
Start with separating the egg whites from the yolk. Ensure that the egg whites have no trace of the yolk.
Next put the egg whites in a bowl and start whisking on a medium-low speed with the whisk attachment. I have used my KitchenAid stand mixer for this purpose.
Once you see some foam forming on top of the egg whites, add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to it and whisk for 1 more minute.
Next start adding the sugar in small quantities. Add 1 Tbsp sugar and whisk on medium speed for 2 minutes. Then again add 1 Tbsp sugar and repeat the process. The mixture will start to foam and expand in volume.
Once all the sugar is added, check the mixture; if it makes soft peak, increase the speed to medium-high and continue to whisk until it looks shiny white and can make stiff peak (hold it's shape). For me this whole whisking process took around 40 minutes.


Now fill a piping bag with this meringue mix. You can use any piping tip of your choice.
I drew a line inside the piping bag with red gel color before I filled it with mixture. Thats what added the red tinge to the meringue I made.
Pipe meringue on to the baking sheet.
Bake it for 45-75 minutes. The baking time depends on the size of your meringue, so keep an eye on it.
Once done the meringue should be dry, crisp and light. I pricked a toothpick in a few to check if it baked thoroughly.
Turn the oven off. Leave the tray outside until the meringue cools down.


P.S. This will be my last recipe post for this year, as we are flying to San Diego to spend Christmas vacation with our friends. Wish you all a very Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!


No comments :